Coming soon, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) customers will see changes in their bills as electric rates are consolidated from three tiers to two tiers. Why? In late 2013, California passed a law, Assembly Bill (AB) 327, to modernize the state’s energy rate structure. The goal of AB 327 was to make electric rates easier to understand, as well as establish more equitable and transparent energy pricing. Read more about why SDG&E’s rates and tiers are changing and what it means to you at: sdge.com/ratereform
Get ahead of the curve and find out how you can save energy and money by tapping into SDG&E’s energy efficiency upgrade programs and services. Whether you rent or own, you could be eligible to receive free energy-efficient home improvements that can make your home more comfortable and save you money now and for years to come!
- Don’t let your energy bill throw you a curveball, score with investing in energy efficient upgrades that can help you save energy and money. SDG&E has programs that are either free or offer rebates to help off-set costs. Best of all, these programs are designed to fit any budget! Watch this video and learn more com/residential/energy-savings-assistance-program-video
- Looking for energy rebates on SDG&E’s Marketplace is a lot easier (and more fun) than filing your taxes, right? Find this one-stop shop for guidance on the best energy efficiency appliances & instant rebates for your household: sdge.com
- April blooms with appreciation for Mother Nature during Earth Day, a day intended to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth’s natural environment. If you’ve been interested in doing your part to help the environment, SDG&E has programs that can help! com/save-money/improve-comfort-your-home-and-save-money
Spring Forward With Energy Savings!
Times are changing!! Don’t forget to set your clocks one hour ahead when Daylight Saving Time begins on March 13th. Also, SDG&E’s rates will change starting in April 1, 2016. SDG&E customers will see a new two-tier electric rate structure in their energy bills. For more information about the rate structure and what it means to you, please go to this link: sdge.com/RateReform/
This spring, SDG&E customers can go green by taking advantage of a number of tools to help manage energy use and costs such as:
- Get rid of the paper! SDG&E’s My Account is an easy & secure way to manage your energy account online and on your smartphone. With My Account, you can pay bills online, analyze your bill, view your energy use & discover ways to save energy and money in your home. com/residential/MyAccount
- Find energy savings at home! Complete an energy survey for a customized report and savings tips. http://www.sdge.com/save-money/solutions-your-home/your-home-can-save-you-money
- This spring, SDG&E wants everything coming up roses in your yard. Building a deck? Planting a tree? Installing a fence or mailbox? Dial 811 before you dig! Why? There are utility lines underground all over San Diego. Watch this video for more information: com/safety/gas-safety/dial-811-you-dig Remember, dial 811 before you dig.
Rates Are Changing
Starting in September last year, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) began to transition its customers to a new electric rate structure approved by the California Public Utilities Commission. A new three-tier electric rate structure replaced the previous four-tier structure. Starting in March 2016, these changes will continue as the new electric rate structure will be further reduced to two tiers.
“We want people to understand the changes to how they are billed and also how they can manage their energy costs.” – Caroline Winn, chief energy delivery officer at SDG&E –
SDG&E customers can take advantage of a number of tools to help manage energy costs such as:
- Keep track of energy bills with spending alerts. Receive an alert by text or email when your account has reached your pre-set spending goal. Visit com/energy-use-alerts to sign up.
- Did you know that you can receive a weekly email that summarizes your energy use? Subscribe today! com/myaccount
Happy New Year from SDG&E!
A New Year of Saving Energy & Money
Has the New Year sparked your resolve to save more money and energy? Use the right tools to accomplish your money and energy saving goals with SDG&E’s programs and video listed below:
Did you resolve to save money in 2016? Start now with SDG&E‘s CARE program – a program that offers you, or someone you know, bill discounts every month. How much of a discount? The CARE program can reduce your energy bill by up to 35%! It’s easy to see if you qualify. Just click on this link: sdge.com/care
Gas Appliance Check
Umbrella-check. Raincoat-check. Gas appliance-check? Yes! Click on the link to schedule a FREE, in-home Gas Appliance Check with San Diego Gas & Electric! sdge.com/residential/serviceorders
Level Pay Plan
Want to stick to your budget goals in 2016? @SDGE’s Level Pay Plan will help you stay on course. SDG&E’s Level Pay Plan makes your energy bill more predictable from month to month so you know how much to budget. Check it out: sdge.com/levelpay.
Winter Energy Solutions Video
Here comes the rain again! SDG&E has winter energy solutions that can save you money and keep you safe. Watch this short video to learn more: https://youtu.be/Em9bids9Thg
Help Make the Holidays Merry and Brighter for Friends in Need
Connect someone you care about to a 35% energy bill discount
The holidays can be tough for those with limited incomes. SDG&E offers a minimum 35% discount for qualified customers. There are 2 ways to qualify for the CARE discount:
- Total household income
- Participation in a qualifying public assistance program (CalFresh, WIC, and more)
Let’s all do our part to make the holidays just a little brighter for friends and families in need. Connect someone you are care about in your community today.
Give the gift that keeps on giving!
$$$ Reap rewards for saving electricity on hot days with SDG&E’s Reduce Your Use Rewards program. Here’s how it works:
- Enroll in Reduce Your Use alerts so you know when to save.
- Receive a day-ahead alert
- Save energy between 11a and 6p on the actual day
- Automatically earn rewards for saving
- View your reward credits online or on your bill
Looking for other ways to keep cooling costs down?
- Get a free smart thermostat
- View one-minute videos for quick tips on home cooling, weatherization and more
- Help your bill take a dip by using our no-cost Water and Energy Saving Kit
- Request an in-home energy survey
Keep Your Cool as Temperatures Heat Up
How can you beat the heat AND save money on your energy bill? Easy – visit a Cool Zone. Cool Zones are places for people to comfortable escape mid-day summer heat and reduce personal air-conditioning use, which helps save on energy costs. With more than 115 locations visiting a Cool Zone near you is easy!
Water Saving Measures and Rebates
With mandatory water restrictions in place, do your part to conserve. Every drop counts! Apply for a free SDG&E water savings kit or replace your clothes washer with one that uses less water & electricity and get a rebate from SDG&E.
Saving energy this summer is easy! Watch these 7 short videos to learn about quick ways to reduce energy use this summer. Topics include indoor and outdoor lighting, cooling, weatherization, pools, refrigeration and electronics.
Splish and Splash Your Way to Cool Energy Savings
As a pool owner, you enjoy a clean pool, but did you know that the energy needed to run a filtration pump and pool cleaner can be a significant part of your monthly energy bill?
By replacing your single-speed or two speed pump and hydraulic cleaner with more efficient models, you can maintain a sparkling swimming pool while lowering your costs.
Splash offers rebates for installing qualifying energy efficient variable-speed pool pumps, as well as a new rebate for robotic pool cleaners.
In San Diego, we use our air conditioner in the summer and heater in the winter. The AC Quality Care Program provides residents with specially trained and skilled contractors to perform year-round Quality Maintenance of your heating and cooling system to help ensure a reliable and energy-efficient operation.
With a $250 initial rebate, SDG&E customers are eligible to receive a System Assessment & Improvement for $50, a service designed to increase indoor comfort, air quality and energy efficiency. How cool is that!?
- Set your air conditioner to 78 degrees or higher. Changing the A/C thermostat from 72 to 78 degrees can save up to 12% of your cooling costs.
- Switch to fans when you can. Use a portable or ceiling fan instead of central A/C when you can comfortably do so.
- Freshen A/C filters regularly. Make sure the filter in your central A/C is clean so it runs more efficiently.
- Weatherstrip and caulk drafty doors and windows to keep conditioned air in and save up to 5% on cooling costs.
- Power down equipment. Use power strips or unplug electronics such as DVRs, game consoles and TVs that draw power even when switched off.
- Make the light choice. When you replace lights, choose energy-efficient products such as LEDs and CFLs.
- Use a pool or spa cover. Covers can reduce heat loss by up to 90%.
- Filter your swimming pool for less when you switch to an energy-efficient, variable-speed pool pump and get one of our rebates.
- Block direct sunlight. Close window coverings, or use solar shade screens, reflective films, awnings or trees to shade exposed windows.
- Target your top opportunities to save energy and money with the online energy management tools you’ll find in My Account.
Reduce Your Use and Save
Reducing your use is the best way to slash energy costs at home. SDG&E has a variety of solutions to help you get started. Here are few of our favorites.
- Reduce Your Use Rewards: Conserve on select Reduce Your Use Days to earn bill credits. Enroll in alerts so you know when to save!
- Reduce Your Use Thermostat: Take control of your home cooling costs. SDG&E is offering homeowners with A/C FREE ecobee smart programmable thermostats – a $300 value! Apply today and use promo code OUT. They will even come to your home to install the thermostat and show you how it works.
- SDG&E Marketplace: In the market for energy-efficient products? There are so many options out there that making the right selection can be confusing. SDG&E’s new Marketplace can help. Discover energy-saving products, connect to available rebates, even compare prices at leading retailers. Shop today at sdgemarketplace.com
- Water Kits: When in drought remember – when you save water, you also save energy. SDG&E is offering customers FREE water savings kits which can help reduce water usage by up to 11%. Apply for a kit today.
These are just a few of the many great solutions SDG&E offers. Take advantage of the offers above to start reducing your use today!
Upgrade Your Way into Energy Savings
Energy-efficient home improvements can make your home more comfortable and save you money now and for years to come. SDG&E has programs that can help you get started.
Home Upgrade Programs
- SDG&E offer free energy-energy efficient improvements to income qualified customers, both renters and owners, with the Energy Savings Assistance Program and the Residential Direct Install Program.
- For customers looking to invest, SDG&E has Energy Upgrade California Home Upgrade which provides assistance and incentives for improvement projects. Find a Home Performance Contractor in your area today.
Energy Efficient Appliances
Replacing old appliances with new energy-efficient models is a quick and easy way to reduce monthly energy costs. SDG&E offers rebates to help reduce the up-front costs of new appliances. See what rebates are currently available.
Spring into Energy Savings and Safety
Spring time means home and yard improvement projects. Get your home inside and out ready for the season with these helpful tips.
Inside the home
Discovering how and what is using energy in your home is the first step to understanding where your biggest energy-saving opportunities lie. Take SDG&E’s energy survey and get a customized report with energy-saving recommendations.
• Simply log into sdge.com/myaccount.
• Click on the “My Energy” tab
• Click on My Energy Survey.
For more information and a step-by-step guide. Click here.
Outside the Home
Planning to plan a tree or install a fence or deck? WAIT! Here’s what you need to know first. Homeowners often make risky assumptions about whether or not they should get their utility lines marked, but every digging job requires a call – even small projects like planting trees and shrubs. Gas pipelines can be located anywhere – under streets, sidewalks and yes even in your yard. Damaging a pipeline can cause a dangerous break or leak, can disrupt service to an entire neighborhood and can result in injury or expense.
Calling 811 before every digging job gets your underground utility lines marked for free and helps prevent undesired consequences. For more information about staying safe visit http://www.sdge.com/safety/gas-safety/dial-811-you-dig .
Do you know someone that could use some extra help this holiday season? Please have them visit http://wecaresd.com to connect with programs and services including SDG&E’s bill discount program! #WECARESD
It’s heating up! Stay cool. Beat the heat and save money on your SDG&E bill by visiting a Cool Zone. Watch this video to learn more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCXgweJ5CA
There are over 100 sites available this season in the hottest areas of the county.
Click here to find a Cool Zone near you.
Do you or someone you know, need extra assistance on energy bills? SDG&E offers help to those who need it most. Solutions include:
– A 20% bill discount. Eligibility for the CARE program is based on current household income or participation in certain public assistance programs.
– Free energy-saving home improvements to your home or apartment via the Energy Savings Assistance Program.
– Lower energy costs for those with a medical need through the Medical Baseline Allowance Program.
– More predictable bills each month through the free Level Pay Program which helps smooth out the ups and downs of your monthly energy bill.
Help make a difference in someone’s life by connecting them to a money and energy saving solution.
Apply online at sdge.com/assistance or call 1-800-411-7343.
SDG&E’s free app for your mobile device gives you more ways to connect to your energy information. The app offers anytime, anywhere access to bill payment, payment locations, outage maps and even a calculator to find out what appliances cost to run. Check out the following features.
Pay on the go
Mobile bill pay offers you an easy way to access your My Account information. You can review your bills, schedule a payment, and update your My Account contact information. If you haven’t registered for My Account, sign up today.
View your energy use at a glance
The My Energy button allows you to view charts showing your daily and weekly energy use at a glance. Simply enter your SDG&E My Account login and password to your personal view charts.
Get outage information
View up-to-date outage information for the entire SDG&E service area. The outage map is updated every 5-10 minutes to display all unplanned outages. The map includes estimated restoration time.
Try the cost calculator
If you wonder how much it costs to run your appliances, try our interactive cost calculator. Simply choose the appliances you use in your home and then estimate how many hours you use that appliance every month.
Keep Your Gas Appliances in Good Health
Have your appliances checked annually
SDG&E offers free gas appliance safety check-ups to help you keep your natural gas appliances in safe working condition. Schedule and manage your appointment online.
All you have to do is select your date, set up your appointment and provide some additional information. It’s that easy.
Once you’re done, your request is automatically scheduled. SDG&E will send you an email confirmation. After that you can track your requests or update them online. If your plans change, no problem. You can always update your request or cancel it at your convenience.
You can also schedule your appointment by calling 1-800-411-7343.
Energize Your 2015 Resolutions
Make Saving Money and Energy One of Your 2015 Goals Every year many of us make both personal and professional New Year’s resolutions. This year ENERGIZE your 2015 resolutions by taking action to save money and energy. SDG&E offers a ton of tools to help you get started. Here are some of our favorites:
Level Pay Plan makes your energy bill more predictable from month to month. Check it out at sdge.com/levelpay.
Enroll in energy use alerts to help keep you on track. Set spending goals, receive usage notifications and even get a weekly energy use report. Enroll today at sdge.com/energy-use-alerts.
My Accounts – Understanding how and when you use energy is essential to finding ways to reduce. SDG&E tools, like My Account, can help. My Account is the one-stop shop for all your personal, secure energy information and services. Get started today at sdge.com/myaccount.
Happy Savings in 2015!
SDG&E’s bill discount program – CARE- offers a 20% energy bill discount
By simply conserving energy we can all reduce our monthly energy bills but for some families it still isn’t enough. This month we are CARE-ing by sharing the word about SDG&E’s CARE program which offers a minimum 20% discount for qualified families. There are 2 ways to qualify for the CARE discount:
• Total household income
• Participation in a qualifying public assistance program (CalFresh, WIC, and more)
For more information or to apply visit sdge.com/care and remember to share this program with someone you CARE about too.